This is our fifth article on how to create your own professional WordPress website on 1&1 IONOS webhosting.
This article will focus on how to create a Under Construction page, also known as a Coming Soon Page on your WordPress website. The purpose of this is that whilst you are developing your website you don’t want people to see your work in progress. Just like if you were an artist you wouldn’t want people to see you drawing the work but rather see the finished article. The same principle applies to designing a website.
We are going to install a plugin which will mean you can see all your design changes as you go but anyone who visits your website will get a page saying the website is under construction or any other information you wish to present
Click on Plugins and select Add New.
Search for Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode by SeedProd.
Click on Install Now next to the Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode plugin and then click Activate.
.Once activated you’ll be taken to the Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode settings page.
.Select Enable Coming Soon Mode.
Scroll down the page and enter a Headline, or just leave the default.
Add a message if you want
Scroll down and click Save All Changes.
To check it’s working you have 2 options:
- Logout of WordPress and then go
- Open a different browser. For example, if you’re using Chrome then open FireFox or Edge or Safari.
Now go to www.yourdomain.co.uk to see the Coming Soon Page.
In the next post we will be learning how to install a new WordPress theme to give your website a brand new look.
About this series of articles
This is the second article in our series of creating a WordPress website from scratch. The complete list of articles is as follows:
- How to setup a 1&1 IONOS Web Hosting Account for a WordPress website
- How to install WordPress on 1&1 IONOS
- How to login to WordPress
- WordPress Settings you should change for new website
- THIS ARTICLE: How to create a “New website coming soon” for your WordPress website
- How to install a WordPress Theme
- How to add photos to your WordPress website
- Create a homepage for your WordPress website with Beaver Builder
- How to create a Contact Us page in WordPress
- How to create an About Us page on your WordPress website
- How to create custom menus in WordPress
- How to add a footer to your WordPress website